35 weeks AKA "35/35"

Thirty-five weeks pregnant with only 35 days to go, what a milestone!


Baby boy is approximately 6lbs and could be 20" in length, resembling a large cantaloupe!  His growth will experience a slow down now so that he can store up as much energy as possible to prepare for his birth day and to enable him to fit through the birth canal.  Most of his internal systems are mature and ready for life on the outside.  Blood circulation, for instance, has been perfected and his immune system has matured enough at this point to protect him from infection outside the womb.  Other systems still need a few final touches; most notably is the digestive system, which actually won't be fully mature until sometime after birth.  According to my Ob/Gyn's practice, they won't stop labor at this point in my pregnancy.

I am feeling pretty darn great in my final month of pregnancy (officially my last month on the 5th!), though I've noticed my connective tissue is softening and loosening in my pelvis and hips, making exercising and even general walking around a bit more difficult (I resemble a penguin, waddling!) and I've even had a few sharp pains where my legs connect to my torso.  I haven't had anymore painful leg cramps (thank God!) and because baby boy has stayed so low in my uterus, I have yet to have heartburn or any real trouble breathing regularly.  My energy level is much higher this week than last week and I really think it's all the gorgeous sunshine and warmer temperatures we've been having, which has given me that boost to get outside every day.  David has also wrapped on Cars2 and is home before 6:30pm every night, taking over bath time and bed time for Emily as well as being here during dinner preparations to play with Emily and help me.

One small change I noticed: my belly button is so flat and the top lip of it is sticking out a bit!  I can also definitely tell my stomach is bigger as some of my shirts from my first trimester are no longer covering my belly at the bottom.

There's really nothing new to report other than the fact that David, Emily and I have chosen a name for this baby and are trying it on these next weeks.  We are going to wait until he's born to see him and see how his name fits him before announcing the name we've chosen.  Why are boy's names so hard?  With Emily we were certain the minute David suggested the name and it flowed perfectly with the middle name I had always loved and picked out.  We had no reservations of any kind!  We told everyone what her name was going to be in my second trimester and never had a doubt.

Anyhow, stay tuned for the big reveal!

Things we accomplished this week:
* packing the hospital bag (the hospital I'll deliver at provides so much, I'm only packing my Ugg house slippers, robe, nursing bra/tanks, breast pads, make-up/hairbrush & accessories, camera & charger, Kindle & charger, Boppy, Jollyranchers, and a going home outfit for myself and baby)
* selecting and ordering a diaper bag
* setting up a changing station on our dresser in our Master bedroom (to use those first few weeks/months when he'll be sleeping in his bassinet in our room)

My girlfriend Kellie is lending me one of her Boppy's (mine disappeared!) so, I purchased a waterproof cover and a plus slipcover this week.  She's also giving me her wooden nursing stool (I hate the gliding ottoman I have!).  So generous, thanks, Kellie!

My mom is visiting in less than 2 weeks to help me with all the final preparations and purchases and to spend a little quality time with Emily.  We can't wait!

Comments

  1. You look great! I agree that boys' names are more difficult to chose than girls'. Can't wait to see what you pick. I'll bet it's really nice to have David home in the evenings, especially when you're tired. It's so nice to have help at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That belly is just the cutest! Can't wait to see the little guy that's in there.

    Very exciting about the name descision too... we've got our boy name, but having trouble with the girl name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no way in heck you are that close!!!! WOW - congratulations!!!!! I am so excited to see the little guy! It sounds like you have everything in order... so so so exciting! ANd you look FAB!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts