Losing the #wheatbelly - Day 5: PHOTOS of what I'm eating! #healthyliving #motherhood #cooking

Are you interested in following me in my journey to lead a more healthy, gluten-free lifestyle?

Read about my journey HERE.

And click on the link --------> over there to follow my SparkPeople blog where I'm documenting every bite of food I put in my mouth and how each day has gone.

Losing the wheat belly - a look back at Day 4, which was yesterday and what I'm eating today, Day 5:

Yesterday, Sunday, was the end of the long, rainy, stuck-indoors weekend that, as I looked forward from last week, I was most worried about. Mainly because I'm a grazer, I'm easily bored, I'm a bit of a lazy personality, and that has all translated to eating out of boredom for me over the years. But, I'm happy to report that I did not eat anything that I didn't plan to eat but more importantly, I didn't want to.

Today is Monday, Day 5. It's almost the end of week one.

I've had a few emails, asking what it is exactly that I'm eating so I thought I'd post a few photos for you all. I truly eating what I've always cooked for my family though I'm making a few small substitutions to make my recipes gluten-free.


This is the Spinach Artichoke pasta (Pioneer Woman's recipe without the flour to make the roux) we had last night for dinner. YUM!!! I used Trader Joe's Brown Rice & Quinoa Fusilli pasta and my portion was 1/2C dried pasta, which boiled up into a full cup once cooked. HUGE portion! I could barely finish it.


These are the grilled Tilapia tacos we had Saturday night for dinner and that I'll have again this week for lunch. They were sooooooo good! Just a light brushing of extra virgin olive oil and some Kosher salt and pepper had these ready for the grill. About 4 minutes per side (you can make them on an indoor skillet!). I squeezed fresh lime juice on them and topped them with shredded Iceburg lettuce, cilantro, and 1T of Trader Joe's Tomatoless Corn Salsa. Using corn tortillas makes them gluten-free and more authentic, like a delicious Taqueria.


This is my famous Italian Sausage spaghetti sauce over Quinoa spaghetti noodles (Safeway!) that are completely gluten-free. I made this last week for dinner and, even though I had purchased regular Italian pasta, I substituted it with the Quinoa spaghetti I had in my pantry and I swear, you won't taste the difference. It's such an easy substitution with so many health benefits.

For breakfast today I microwaved a portion of the scrambled eggs and bacon I made yesterday, which is 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites plus 2 slices of bacon. Once I dropped Emily off at school and got back home, David made me a latte with 8oz fat-free milk.

Nolan and I are off to an indoor play place as it's pouring down rain AGAIN today so, I'll come back later this afternoon and post our weekly meal plan.

Are you and your family gluten-free?

Do you have any meal ideas, tips, and/or tricks to share with me? I'd love to hear them!

Drop me an email or leave a comment below. :)

Comments

  1. My BFF is paleo and she loves recipes from Elena's Pantry. Many can be found in Pinterest. She has a lot of good desserts to satisfy a sweet tooth or chocolate cravin without dairy or grains. I'm so impressed with your eas of transition! I try and watch my carbs but we still eat pasta and bread a few times a week, especially the boys. Are you kids going gluten free? What are they eating for breakfast? I know or my paleo BFF breakfast was the hardest for her kids. He makes a lot of eggs and also paleo pancakes and waffles, and a lot of smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've booked marked Elena's Pantry, thanks Aja!!!

    I'm not forcing my husband or kids to go gluten-free but I am replacing as many of the foods they consume with gluten-free alternatives as I can. They are so picky but eat a more Paleo Diet that I even realized. The kids eat fruits and veggies with every meal - it's their #1 favorite! They also consume a lot of daily. For their favorite meals, like macaroni 'n cheese and spaghetti I just swapped quinoa or brown rice pastas (Trader Joe's!) for the semolina pastas. Neither like sandwiches of any kind so when I stopped buying sandwich bread neither noticed. They both love french toast, pancakes, and cereal as well as desserts so I still make and keep all those things for them, I just try to offer them in moderation. I guess I COULD buy the gluten-free flours and substitutes. Both love smoothies, that's a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts