Recipe: Coconut Truffles in the spirit of Christmas!

My grandmother and my mother always made this candy for the family every Holiday and not a year has gone by since my marriage that I haven't made it as well.  No clue why I am just now blogging about it other than the fact that I just finished making this year's batch.  :)  Thanksgiving and Christmas just isn't so without this candy and I hope your family enjoys it as much as we do (think a suped up Mounds Bar!).


Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds sifted confectioners' sugar (only mix 1lb in preparation below)
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 cups flaked coconut
  • 1 stick butter or margarine, melted (4 ounces)
  • 3 cups chopped pecans
  • Dipping Chocolate (below), melted

Preparation:

Mix all ingredients together (only 1lb of the sugar though!).  Using a melon baler, scoop filling and plop down into another bowl of the second pound of the sugar.  Lightly roll into nicely shaped balls, knocking excess sugar off and place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.  Chill for at least 2 hours and then, either roll in Sweetened cocoa powder or dip into melted chocolate.  I use Bakers semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted in the microwave per directions on the box.  I normally need 6 boxes of chocolate for this recipe and get 48 truffles.


If dipping in chocolate, place back on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and let chill for at least another hour before boxing up for friends (or yourself!).

Comments

Popular Posts