Meal Planning: 3/10 thru 3/16

Brand new to Meal Planning?

Start by reading all about Meal Planning (scroll down to "A Day in My Life" on the right-hand side of this page and click Meal Planning: How To Get Started or just click here) in order to familiarize yourself with the steps! There, you will find a link to a detailed example of my own weekly meal planning where I walk you through step-by-step.
__________________________________________________________________________

The first thing I do on Saturday mornings is to look back over the week to see if we did indeed eat everything on my meal plan and adjust my inventory, reducing it by what we ate and increasing it by anything I purchased and/or made-ahead. We ate everything we planned for so I reduced my inventory by last week's meal plan.

Inventory
8 portions ground turkey
1 portions porkchops
8 portions boneless, skinless chicken breasts
7 portions ground sirloin
1 portions flank steak
1 portions pork baby back ribs
1 portions made-ahead lasagna
1 portions made-ahead chicken enchiladas original red
2 portions made-ahead cheese turkey bake
2 portions made-ahead marinated chicken fajitas
1 portions made-ahead meatloaf
1 portions made-ahead meatballs
1 portions made-ahead tomato-basil spaghetti sauce

Then, I shopped my pantry, freezer and fridge for ingredients to come up with some meals, looking at our family calendar to ensure I wasn't planning on something we had recently eaten. I scanned the weekly ad to see what was on sale that might complement and/or substitute for what I had come up with and of course, how to stretch ingredients over enough meals to use them up.

As I said last week, I'm really well stocked up, I just have no more room for any new inventory so, I made my grocery list based on only what we needed for this week's breakfasts, lunches, and snacks.

My last step would be to clip any coupons I could use. Low carb whole wheat wraps are a staple in our lives so I was thrilled to see a coupon for them in this week's ad making them half price!



Weekly Meal Plan
Turkey Mac and spinach salad
Grilled chicken sandwiches with baked sweet potato fries
Leftovers
Hawaiian burgers
Crispy beef tacos with chips & guacamole
Chicken Parmesan and spinach salad
Orange chicken with broccoli over rice


So, how did I come up with this meal plan?
My husband doesn't really love vegetables but will eat baby spinach in salads so, since Organic baby spinach was 2@$5 this week, I purchased a package and we'll have spinach salad along side two meals: Chicken Parmesan (request by my husband and easy enough as I have jarred pasta sauce, fresh mozzerella, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese on hand) and Turkey Mac (another no-cost meal as I have dried penne pasta, Velveeta, ground turkey breast, and all the other ingredients on hand). Since Turkey Mac only uses half a package of ground turkey breast, I decided to add Hawaiian burgers to use up the other half. Hawaiian burgers are inexpensive as well, only requiring me to purchase green onions ($0.99) and pineapple rings ($0.88). I have hamburger buns in the freezer for the Hawaiian burgers as well as the grilled chicken sandwiches I decided to put on the menu this week. Fresh boccoli was only $1.99/lb and seeing the Orange sauce in the pantry had me craving Orange chicken so, it went on the menu and cost me nothing additional at the store as I have rice on hand. Lastly, crispy beef tacos with chips & guacamole were added as taco shells were on sale only $1.99, taco sauce was on sale $1.77 and I still have cherry tomatoes leftover from last week.

What did I purchase this week?


I spent $109.11 on our weekly necessities including: milk, yogurt, fresh organic produce, deli ham & cheeses, and nuts. I also took advantage of some items on sale to further help me in my weight-loss journey including: Healthy Choice's sale on 250-300 calorie TV dinners (really helps me eat healthy when in a hurry during the week), fresh green beans that steam in the bag, and Luna bars (I like to eat these before working out in the mornings). Pickles, garlic and marinade were all on sale (not advertised) so I picked those up as well.

Comments

Popular Posts