Recipe: Meatloaf, the best I've ever had!!!

I grew up on meatloaf, I truly love meatloaf, it's one of my Top Comfort Food Items and we make it monthly here in our house! I came across Katie Joel's Meatloaf while watching Oprah one day last year and have made it at least a dozen times with the same results each time: the best meatloaf I have ever had! It's flavorful, moist, firm, cooked through and really brings me back to when I was a kid and my mom would make it for us.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have!

Recipe: Meatloaf

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion, minced (I throw it in my food processor)
1 clove garlic (I use a spoonful of crushed garlic)
1 medium red pepper, minced (again, I throw it in my food processor)
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons chopped thyme (I use dried)
2 tablespoons chopped parsley (again I use dried)
2 lbs extra lean ground beef (I use 97% lean)
2 large eggs, beaten
3/4 C dried bread crumbs
1 C ketch up
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 24 muffin tins with Pam.
***Note: if you don't want to make the muffins, line a baking sheet with Parchment paper and spray with Pam***

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over Medium-High heat. Add onion, garlic and bay leaf and let saute 3 minutes. Add the red pepper and let saute 5 more minutes. Add parsley and thyme and let saute 2 more minutes. Turn off heat and let onion mixture cool completely.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, only 1/2 C of the ketchup, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and cooled onion mixture. Add in the beef and combine with your hands until well incorporated.

Using an ice cream scoop, fill up 2 muffin tins, or approximately 20-24 muffins and cover eat with the remaining 1/2 C ketchup.
***Note: if you don't want to use the muffin tins, shape meatloaf into a loaf approximately 4 inches tall, 6 inches wide and 12 inches long. Cover with remaining 1/2 C ketchup.***

Bake muffin tins for 30-35 minutes.
Bake loaf for 75-90 minutes, depending upon your oven.

Let the meatloaf muffins you aren't planning on eating cool completely, remove from the muffin tins and line up on a sheet pan. Put entire pan in the freezer over night. Gather up the frozen meatloaf muffins and place in a Ziploc Freezer bag that you can keep on hand for up to 6 months! You can remove them 1 or more at a time and thaw in the fridge for a quick, easy, healthy meal any day of the week! This is especially wonderful for children and Emily is the reason I make the muffins now instead of the loaf, she loves them!!!

Comments

Popular Posts