25 in 2009 - Books 3, 4 & 5

25 in 2009:
1) Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall

2) The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

3) Water for Elephants by ______
I couldn't put this book down and read it in just a week! I absolutely fell in love with the main character, who was flashing back to his life, growing up and working on the Circus Circuit. While I have never been interested in the Circus, even as a kid, I was ennamored with all the details of how it was back then, to eat, breathe, sleep and work the Circus Train and his life came to be with him in his 90's! GO GET THIS BOOK!!!!

4) Multiple Blessings by Jon & Kate Gossilin
I am a huge fan of their show: "Jon & Kate +8" so it was really a no-brainer for me to pick up their book, although I must admit: at first, I thought the book would provide no new information as I already felt I knew their story and boy, was I pleasantly surprised to read this book from Kate's point of view. Uncensored, raw, real, honest... it was so refreshing to read about how motherhood IS NOT always wonderful, rewarding and fun; it IS NOT always easy and she often had days of regret and threw herself a little pitty party... most moms sugar coat their experiences as a way to hide any mistakes they made or less-than-perfect feelings they might have had along the way. Motherhood is never a common experience: no two parents are alike and no two children are alike and I find there's so much judgment from other moms! Most are very territorial and arrogant, believing their way is THE ONLY way and all too often try to make it look easy and make themselves look perfect which is not only a farce but it's disheartening when you become a mom and have had no one tell you how it really is! Kate does not apologize for her sharp tongue, harsh words, controlling Type A personality and I don't think she should and I loved reading how she really felt while raising these children over the last 5 years. I read this book in about 6 hours. :)

5) The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
I picked this book up last night and haven't been able to put it down - I'm already on page 65! As far as I can tell, it's about a couple who the wife went into labor during a snow storm and her husband, an Othopedic Surgeon had to help deliver their first child (set back in the 1960's) in his office! Much to his surprise, shortly after another baby, a tiny little girl was born and he recognized immediately that she had Down's Syndrome. Because of complications of his own sister's diagnosis, the husband in his grief sent the daughter away with the nurse to be taken to some facility that deals with children with handicaps... without every telling his wife she had this little girl! The nurse, feeling this was wrong in her heart decided to keep the little girl to raise on her own... I can't wait to find out how this story unfolds!!!

Comments

Popular Posts