Potty Training: Take 2!

So, I read the 3-Day Potty Training Method and decided to try it, although I'm hesitant because Emily is still in her crib [happily so] and I can't imagine her getting up numerous times at night because she needs to pee or poop or because she had an accident in her bed.  Sorry to sound selfish but this is just not something I'm looking forward to.  But, I have it, have read it and am going to give it the old honest try!

I took Emily with me to Target this morning and let her pick out several bags of candies, jelly beans, and lollipops, a few $1 toys like a magic wand, bubbles, bouncy ball, princess rings and books and I added a few "Cars" and "Thomas the Train" toys to the basket.  When we got home, I put together the Goodie Bag and explained to her that she is a big girl and is going to be wearing panties from now on.

I told her that every time she pees or poops in the potty, she gets to close her eyes, reach in the Goodie Bag and pull out a surprise.  She was ecstatic at the idea and ran to her room to pick out some big girl panties to put on.  I told her it was her job to keep her panties dry and to tell me when she needed to pee or poop.  That was at 12:02pm.

And then, I let her go about her morning, while staying close to her and watching for any signs that she needed to pee as this is the 3-Day Potty Training Method.  I gave her a juice box and then, water with her lunch.  I reminded her that it was her job to keep her panties dry and to tell me when she needed to pee or poop.  I praised her for being a big girl and wearing her panties... she gave me a high five and we went into her room to do a few puzzles and read some books.  

1:45pm - I reminded her that she was a big girl and that her job was to keep her panties dry through her nap.  I praised her for being dry all morning and she gave me another high five.  I watched & listened to her over the video monitor for any signs of her needing to pee or poop through her nap.

2:12pm - I saw Emily stand up in her crib so I went in and saw that she had peed in her bed.  She kept saying; "It was just an accident, mommy", while I changed the sheets.  I didn't say a word nor did I express any frustration or anger.  Once I was done, I told her she was a big girl now and that her pee and poop belonged in the potty.  I put her in a new pair of panties and told her to keep her panties dry.  I left her room and hoped she would nap.  I then sat down to re-read the 3-Day Potty Training Method to ensure I had handled it correctly and was a bit upset to find NOTHING regarding nap time.  Just a small snippet that says you should NOT wake them from their nap to ask them if they need to pee or poop in a FAQ.  I read through the night time section, to see if I could find anything helpful there but only found that I should just change the sheets without making a fuss.  Hmmm...

2:35pm - Again, I saw Emily standing up in her crib and when I went in, I found her bed soaked again.  Ugh.  Like before, I didn't say a word nor did I express any frustration or anger.  Once I was done, I told her she was a big girl now and that her pee and poop belonged in the potty.  I put her in a new pair of panties and told her to keep her panties dry.  We only have 6 sets of crib sheets, I sure hope we make it through nap time today!

3:01pm - It was past nap time so, I went int to gtt Emily out of her bed and noticed she had peed again.  I told her nap time was over and that because she's a big girl now, wearing panties, she needs to pee and poop in the potty, not in her bed.  I showed her that she had peed in her bed and made her help me remove the soiled sheets, pillow case and her lovies.  I put her in a new pair of panties and told her to keep her panties dry and to tell me when she needed to pee or poop.

Yes, I am hating the sound of my voice by this point... broken record doesn't begin to describe me.


Twenty minutes later, I told her that we were going to try to use the potty [I know, I know, completely against the 3-Day Potty Training Method but I was about over it at this point] as it had been about every 1/2 hour she was having an accident, and low and behold, she PEED ON THE POTTY within about 1 minute!  Holy crap, what an exciting time, I mean, no one can really prepare you for just how exciting it is, I was crying I was so excited!  I was also jumping up and down, screaming; "what a big girl, good job!" as she was peeing with the biggest smile on her face.  I wiped her, she shut the lid and flushed the toilet and said; "now I get something from the Goodie Bag!" and she did: a piece of chocolate candy.  I praised her, gave her double high fives and reminded her that she's a big girl now and needs to keep her panties dry and to tell mommy if she needs to pee or poop.

Then, I took her with me to wash her comforter, pillow case, two blankets, both her lovies, and 3 sets of sheets.

3:25pm - I found Emily grunting, struggling in a corner of her room.  I immediately scooped her up as the 3-Day Potty Training Method says to do, with her screaming and begging to get down and for me to stop, rushed her to the bathroom where she ended up POOPING ON THE POTTY!!!  To be accurate, it was already coming out when I found her in her room but I made her sit on the potty to finish as most kids have a really tough time with pooping on the potty, it scares them to death it seems.  She was crying and extremely upset as to be expected so, I just switched her focus to how excited I was: I kept screaming, excited that she pooped on the potty, repeatedly telling her what a big girl she was.  She eventually stopped crying, smiled and said; "I get a surprise from the Goodie bag now!".  She picked bubbles.  We talked about how great it was for her to pee and poop on the potty and that it's her job to keep her panties dry now that she's a big girl.

4:15pm - Just before going to pick up Chloe from Preschool, I asked Emily to try to pee on the potty.  I reminded her to keep her panties dry while in the car and that we needed to pee before we left home.  Nothing happened after 15 minutes.

5:05pm - We made it all the way to Chloe's Preschool dry!  While getting Chloe's coat on at her Preschool, I noticed Emily backed into a corner, grunting and red-faced.  I immediately grabbed her and carried her, kicking and screaming; "no no no don't touch it" the whole way and the entire class staring at us (nice).  I got her seated on the potty just in time because she POOPED IN THE POTTY AGAIN!!!  The whole class clapped for her, Chloe hugged her and the Teacher gave her a piece of taffy.  Of course I was clapping and screaming; "what a big girl" the whole time.  Emily was beaming.  :)   P.S. Seems Emily's a tad bit constipated and it's coming out a little at a time.... that could be the reason for her hesitation and all the screaming.  Sorry, TMI!

6:05pm - We made it home completely dry!!!  Again, I told her it was her job to keep her panties dry and that she was such a big girl, peeing & pooping in the potty.  She and Chloe played and I reminded her three more times to keep her panties dry and to let me know if she needed to pee or poop.

6:30pm - Still dry.  I reminded her not to pee in her panties and that she was at the table eating.  If she needed to take a break and pee or poop, let me know.  She ate her dinner and stayed dry the entire 30 minutes.

7:25pm - Still dry.  I asked if she needed to pee and got a resounding "no" so, I brushed her teeth, got her into a nighttime Pull-up (explaining that these were her nighttime undies) and told her how proud of her I was for all her pee pee and poop in the potty.  What a big girl she was, staying dry a good part of the day and that we were going to try again tomorrow. 





Successful day I would say, even though only parts of the 3-Day Potty Training Method worked for me.  I think that's normal though, just like with sleep training, one method doesn't work for all and some times it takes a hybrid of methods.  I am going to continue with the constant praise and reminding to keep her panties dry, rushing her to the potty to finish ON the potty should I catch her in the middle of an accident, replace her panties/clothes/bedding without making it a big deal and praise, praise, praise when she does use the potty.  However, I am going to put her in a Pull-up for nap and bed time as she is still in her crib and I'm confident she won't go to College in diapers... she will get it eventually.   :)

Thank you to everyone for your advice & suggestions via email, Facebook and online!

Comments

Popular Posts