Home-made Tomato Sauce


I don't have a garden and I honestly just don't have the time to steam, peel, seed and chop four pounds of Roma tomatoes so, in my home-made tomato sauce recipe, I use canned tomatoes and I promise you, this recipe will taste every bit as fresh!

Recipe: Home-made Tomato Sauce


Ingredients
¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 of a large white onion (about 2/3 of a cup), minced (I throw mine in my food processor)
6 cloves garlic, minced (again, I use my food processor)
3 tablespoons tomato Paste
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
2 14oz cans diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock
12 to 16 fresh basil leaves, washed and dried then, stacked, rolled tight and cut thinly across the roll
8 tablespoons unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions
In a large deep saucepan or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato paste and then the tomatoes, cook for 2 to 3 minutes, and then pour in the chicken stock. Simmer on low heat until the sauce is thick, about 30 minutes.

Stir the basil into the sauce.

Whisk in the butter piece by piece, then season to taste with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1/4 cup salt, stir.  Add your favorite pasta (I use thin spaghetti) and cook according to the manufacturer instructions, or until al dente.  Drain pasta and toss with the sauce, about 2 cups of sauce per pound of pasta.  Grate Parmigano-Reggiano cheese over the top and serve!

This recipe will make 10 cups of tomato sauce, which you can freeze in 2 cup portions in Ziploc freezer bags or jar, should you know how. 

Comments

  1. What is your preference when freezing liquids/sauces?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts