36 weeks pregnant on Mother's Day


This is the second time I've been pregnant on Mother's Day, what a gift! 

David & Emily both let me sleep in until after 10:00am and then, I was treated to a gorgeous bouquet of flowers and a home-made french toast breakfast in bed.  After a day of lounging, relaxing, and a surprise foot rub from Emily (too cute!), we ended the day with dinner out.  I was only sad not to see my own mother today though I know Jenny took great care of her.  :)

Now on to how this week has been!

The swelling in my legs & feet has finally subsided as well as the dull back ache from all the walking and heat at Disneyland last week.  I actually don't have any swelling anywhere and can still wear my wedding rings comfortably as well as all my shoes.  I'm sleeping great, though rolling over and getting out of bed are quite a challenge because of how relaxed my abdominal muscles have become, and I am up around 1:00am and 6:00am to use the bathroom.  Ugh.  I have always believed this is just God's way of preparing us for having a newborn; the sleep deprivation won't be quite so shocking.  :)

No heartburn, no stretch marks, no pain anywhere.  The top of my belly button has officially popped out though!  And the loosening of my pelvic ligaments makes my legs "give out" randomly and just simple walking can be uncomfortable at times.  I'm also very thankful I haven't had any more leg cramps.

How big is baby?  He's the size of a honeydew melon!  His skin is getting smooth and soft, his gums are now rigid, his liver & kidneys are in working order, and his circulation & immune system are good to go.  His lungs are the only organs that still need time to fully mature, but every day he gets closer to breathing on his own.  He's approximately 6 1/2lbs and could begin to descend lower into my pelvis in preparation for his birth day.  I have what is officially considered a full-term baby, even with three weeks to go. That doesn't mean he's finished growing — in fact, he's still packing on about a half pound a week. Right now, he is busy rehearsing for his big debut, inhaling and exhaling amniotic fluid (to get the lungs ready for that first breath), sucking his thumb (to prepare for that first suckle of milk), blinking, and turning from side to side.

Things we accomplished this past week:
* my mom ordered us a new swing (the one we had with Emily didn't plug into the wall and ate dozens of batteries) and it should arrive any day now
* we've purchased and installed the infant car seat adapter for my BOB jogging stroller and aired up the stroller's tires
* directions from the airport and our house to/from the hospital are saved in everyone's iPhone
* I mailed out "thank you" notes from the baby shower I had a few weeks back
* we had a tour of the hospital's maternity ward
* we took Emily to her "Big Sister" class at the hospital on Saturday (a post with photos is coming soon!)


My mom arrives Thursday and I can't wait to go shopping for all those little things left to purchase!

Comments

  1. You look fabulous as usual! It's so nice that you've had such a good pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your last few days as a mama to one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts