Recipe: Herb biscuits

The perfect, easy, savory biscuit to have alongside a meal or to slice in half and stuff with slices of smoked pork tenderloin came from Cooking Light magazine for us back in December. David and I have made this recipe three times since and it's so good that it's become a regular staple in my freezer! I make up a batch anytime I have buttermilk and leftover herbs I need to use up and before baking, I freeze the cutouts on parchment paper.

Recipe: Herb biscuits
Credit: Cooking Light Magazine, Issue: December 2011

Ingredients:
2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
6 T chilled unsalted butter, cut into tiny cubes
1 1/2 T finely chopped fresh thyme
1 1/2 T finely chopped fresh sage
1 1/4 C fat-free buttermilk (I use regular because I can't find fat-free)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. If you plan to freeze these before baking, skip this step!

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse meal or gravel, as I like to call it. Add in sage and thyme then, pour in buttermilk. Using a rubber spatula mix until just combined.

Dump out dough onto a lightly floured surface. I needed about 1/4 cup of flour to get the dough just to the point that it was no longer sticky. Flour a rolling pin and your favorite biscuit cutter (I use a 3" round) and cut out the biscuits, laying them 2" apart on parchment paper that is on a baking sheet. Reshape the scraps and roll back out, cutting as many biscuits as you can. I normally get close to 20.

As they are, you can slip the entire baking sheet into your freezer (just make sure it's a level surface!) and, once frozen, you can pile them up into a freezer bag to pull out as many as you need to bake in the future. I let mine thaw completely before baking at 450 degrees for 15-17 minutes.

Or you can put them in your oven, on the middle rack, to bake immediately for 15-17 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts