Day2 - 2013 #Thanksgiving preparations: my favorite three days of the year! #motherhood #cooking #mealplanning

Have you been following along with me in my Thanksgiving preparations?

If not, I'll catch you up.

I'm writing a three day series on meal planning and preparing for Thanksgiving, which started yesterday.

You can read yesterday's entry Day 1 by clicking HERE. Then, come back to this post.

___________________________________________________________________________________

So, what was on today's list?

Here's a reminder:


I spent two hours this morning, before Nolan woke up, working on today's list.

I got the pumpkin pie baked and it's now cooling. I also whipped up the filling for Emily's favorite cherry cream cheese pie and put in inside it's graham cracker crust. It's firming up in the fridge now. I'll pour on the cherry pie filling tomorrow.


I minced all my fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley) and put them in tupperware and I minced the onion and celery I needed for my cornbread dressing. You'll see a larger tupperware container full of onions, celery, and carrots in this photo. I'm using that for my potato soup on Friday. Remember what I said: if you need it twice, chop it once! You'll also see I've set my butter out.


I also boiled the baby Yukon Gold and Red new potatoes I need for my mashed potatoes tomorrow. I decided not to peel them because I actually love the texture of the skin in mashed potatoes and because they are so small, I didn't have to cut them!


Next, I prepared the macaroni 'n cheese. I was only scheduled to boil the noodles and shred the cheese but, like I said, I had the time so I decided to make the cheese sauce and assemble this dish. I covered it in breadcrumbs, some of the bacon I fried and chopped yesterday, and dotted with with butter. Once cooled, I covered it with foil and put it in the fridge.


What now? You see a package of pre-made pie crusts? Yes you do.

I don't make my pie crust from scratch. I already told you that in my meal planning segment on Monday. It's not worth my time for the few dollars it costs to just buy it! :)

Lastly, I sauteed my onions and celery with some of the fresh herbs I minced and chicken stock, mixed it with my dried out cornbread, and assembled it into a baking dish. Once cooled, I covered it with foil and put it in the fridge. The trick to great cornbread dressing besides really dry cornbread and great flavor is to make it moist enough. It should be wet but there shouldn't be any puddles.


A few things not on my to do list that I'll add for next year that I went ahead and did this morning included getting out the recipe cards I needed for today and locating all my bake ware and serve ware.


So, that's it. It's 4:30pm and I'm done for the day.

Other than unloading the FULL dishwasher and washing some pans by hand.

Tomorrow's the big day and here's what's on my list, minus what I did today:


How are your preparations going?

Comments

Popular Posts